Thursday, February 18, 2010

Change in attitude

I've had a pretty crappy attitude lately. I'm mourning all the things I can no longer eat and drink. I've decided to look at this as an opportunity to expand my palate. I think when we diet we all have "go to" meals that are quick and we know how many points they are by heart. Mine was my ham and cheese grilled panini. I'm going to take this time to find new "go to" meals that are just as fast and easy and healthy.

Why says a sandwich has to be ham and/or turkey. What about chicken salad? There has to be a healthy version of chicken salad out there? I also love tuna. I know I can only eat this once a week, but still...... There has got to be other sandwiches out there I can eat that are just as tasty and probably even healthier for me.

Same thing with drinks. I am addicted to diet pop. I would drink about 2 or 3 cans a day. I was planning on giving it up for Lent this year anyway. Now I need to find other drinks (besides water) that are good for me and tastes just as good. I was thinking today of taking a splash of juice and adding soda water to it. That way I can still have the fizz of the drink, but none of the nasty chemicals that are in diet pop.

The hardest thing for me to give up has been the caffeine. I have more headaches now, which is normal. I make a pot of coffee in the morning and use 3 scoops of coffee. I've got it down to one scoop of the caffeinated and 2 scoops of the decaf. Tomorrow I will go all decaf.

Instead of looking at all the things I have to give up, I'm going to view this as a challenge to find all the healthier things I can now eat. Smoothies, Milk (I don't drink enough milk), different fishes, more "whole foods" etc. I'm going to challenge myself not with exercise this time, but with all the dietary changes I can make that will make me and the baby healthier.

I am happy to report that I have not tracked my points this week but have just eaten sensibly and I haven't gained any weight. That makes me very happy. That shows me that I *can* do this and won't be that woman who sadly gains 75 lbs during her pregnancy.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about all the things you can't eat now...but you're making a baby!!! :)

    About the fish, I remember reading pregnant women shouldn't eat much fish. So I Googled it and there are several articles out there about pregnancy and eating fish. This article looked pretty good. http://www.pregnancy-calendars.net/fish.aspx or this one - http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/foodstoavoid.html.

    ReplyDelete