Friday, February 19, 2010

About 3 days ago I found out I can no longer take Prilosec. I have always had issues with acid reflux. I can't seem to control it without the medication. My doctor seems to think that my acid problems disappeared when I got pregnant. I'm either dealing with nausea or acid reflux. Oh joy!

I'm trying to find new things to drink. Last night I came up with the idea of mixing club soda with limeade. BIG mistake. Lime are very acidic and I was up last night miserable. I was thinking of switching to juice instead of pop but some juices have a lot of acid too. I think I'm going to have to totally revamp my diet. I have to watch out for acidic foods as well as acidic drinks. The only thing I feel "safe" drinking is water and I'm getting pretty bored of that.

I have not had a diet pop in 3 days and it's starting to get to me. I used to have 2-3 cans a day. I guess you don't realize how important drinks are until you are limited in what you can have.

I've also realized how far I still have to go as far as my weight loss. It's ridiculous that I still need the medication for acid reflux. Losing weight will cure the problem. When I was taking Prilosec, I didn't think about it because the medication took care of it. I had no symptoms. Now I wonder if it was smart to treat the problem with medication. Having severe heart burn that wasn't controlled would have forced me to make smarter choices. Now I am forced to deal with it while being pregnant whether I want to or not.

I have come a long way. I no longer need my CPAP machine for sleep apnea. That is huge. I hated using that thing. I see the majority of the people on Biggest Loser use those machines and I feel so bad for them. They are uncomfortable and embarrassing to use. I'd have to take it with me on trips and when we visited family they all knew I used it. And every new season of BL showed these huge people all having to use it and that made me feel like sh*t.

I'm going to spend my weekend finding recipes for mild foods that are healthy. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Not using the sleep apnea machine is a huge non-scale victory! Pretty soon you will see a reduction in the acid reflux and that will be a victory, too. Until, then I hope you find a way to lessen the reflux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the meds mask the real problem when a person has acid reflux, or even heartburn. I use to have terrible heartburn when I weighed 240.

    Changing your diet will make a world of difference. When I started eating less processed foods and more whole grains, fruits and veggies, my heartburn completely disappeared.

    Maybe when you look for some new recipes look specifically for recipes for people with acid reflux. I bet there are a lot of ideas out there on it since it seems like everyone has acid reflux.

    That's so cool you don't have to use the CPAP machine. One of my nieces has to use it and it looks very uncomfortable to me. Plus, like you said, she said it's embarrassing. She weighs about 380 and I really feel bad for her.

    Anyway, you're doing great and I know you'll get through this pregnancy without gaining a bunch of weight. Plus the things you're doing will be great for the baby's health, as well as teach your little girl good lessons now while she's young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to drink fruit juice mixed with mineral water. It's a healthier alternative to pop, but it's so easy for me to take in too many calories in liquid form, so I really try to limit how much I drink juice.

    I started out with a 1:1 ratio of juice to mineral water but over time have found I don't need to make it that strong to enjoy it. Now I typically use a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of juice to mineral water.

    I also suffer from acid reflux so I use low acid fruit juices (i.e. non-citrus fruits). I really like Juicy Juice, Welch's grape juice is good, apple juice or apple cider are nice, and I like cranberry or cranapple and even pomegranate juice. There are so many options!

    I have also found that the higher the mineral content in the water the more the water has a neutralizing effect of acid in citrus juice. I really enjoy orange juice with my breakfast so I buy a low-acid orange juice and then mix it with a high calcium mineral water. I can't promise it will work for you but I am able to drink this combination with no problems.

    I have also discovered packets of crystallized lemon, lime and orange (True Lemon is the name of the product) and find that one packet of in a pint of water adds a nice enough flavor that it's not hard for me to drink my 8 cups of water a day. For some reason this stuff doesn't aggravate my reflux.

    I hope my ideas help. Your weight loss journey is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete