Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Trying to decide what to do

My friend wants to try the 17 day diet starting on Monday. She's going through a really rough patch with her husband (soon to be ex) and wants to lose some weight so she can get some confidence in herself. I told her I would do it with her to support her. However, I don't really think that's the right thing for me to do right now.

I have another friend who has been going to Weight Watchers for months now. She's over 300 lbs and so far has lost 30. She's consistently losing 2-3 pounds a week. IF I would have started WW (the old plan) and stuck with it Jan 1, I'd probably be down over 20 lbs by now.

Instead I've done Phase one of the South Beach diet, the 17 day diet and the new WW points plus diet. Where am I? About 3 pounds down from my weight Jan 1. I'm like the hare in The Turtle and the Hare story. I want a quick fix. Had I taken the turtle's approach, I'd be half way to my goal by now.

I was looking back at my old WW books and was reminded that I lost 40 pounds on the old WW diet. I think I should go back to that and be happy with a pound or two a week. Obviously these quick fixes aren't doing it for me. I do great for a few days but then want whatever it is I can't have and go crazy. Actually the 17 day diet was the easiest of them all, but I couldn't keep up with all the planning.

I also need a plan where I can have frozen meals. There are days when I don't have time to chop up a salad or grill a chicken breast. There are many days when I'm feeding the baby and eating a frozen WW meal at the same time. I need a plan (right now) that will give me that flexibility.

I guess I need to just tell her that the 17 day diet isn't for me right now. I'm tired of trying all these things that aren't working. I need to make a life style change and I think WW will help me do that in the long run.

I haven't been to the gym in over a week. The baby got sick after her first week there and still is very congested and stuffed up. I'd forgotten how long it takes babies to get rid of a stuffy/runny nose because they can't blow their noses themselves. I'm hoping to get back soon. I was really getting into a nice little routine there for a week.

My niece is staying with us this week so that's also throwing off my schedule. I would love to get in a couple of work outs this week and I'm going to try my best to do just that. We got a few inches of SNOW here on Monday. I wish Spring would come to stay. I want to walk outside and take the baby in the stroller. She loves it and when I have both kids in the double stroller I get twice the work out because I'm pushing 60 pounds between those 2 kids.

I'm hanging in there. I could be doing better, but I could be doing worse. I think I've made my decision to start WW on Monday. Of course, why should I wait? Why don't I start it tomorrow? I have a big Easter dinner planned, so I can take Sunday off, but I shouldn't blow this week because Monday is the typical day we all start diets. So, my plan right now is to start WW right NOW!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear you're going to do what's right for you, right now. :) I'm with you, with the jumping all over the place trying this and trying. I tried the new Weight Watchers, the old Weight Watchers, The Simply Filling Technique and counting calories. And where am I right now. Oh, about 8 pound heavier than I was January 1!

    I've decided to give the new WW, PointsPlus, an honest effort. It seems to be working for a lot of people so it would probably work for me too if I'd just give it a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete