Monday, January 26, 2015

January is almost over and I've done pretty well. This past week hasn't been go great, but week #3 of any "diet" is usually not great for me. Some people hate the word "diet." I am not one of them. I am being real and I am on a diet. We are all on diets and I don't necessarily think that a "diet" is a bad thing. For me it's a reminder that I am paying attention to what I eat and I'm not shoving food into my mouth without thinking about it.

I have been tracking my food for the last 3 weeks. I use the ap Lose It and I really love it. There are times when tracking isn't easy so I have to guess the calories, but I would estimate that I can track 80% of what I eat easily. For me, just knowing the calories content in some foods make it easier to not eat whatever it is. For example, I was eating sushi thinking it's a healthy, low calorie food. Ummm, I was wrong. From what I could find, one pieces (not roll- one piece) is between 75-100 calories EACH. Last week I ate 9 pieces for lunch. After lunch I looked up the calories and OMG. Needless to say I won't be eating that much sushi anytime soon. But that's what I mean about knowing the calorie count of foods.

I have also been working out at least 4 times a week for the last 3 weeks. I don't know why it's so hard for me to stay consistent with working out because I feel SO good after I do it. I have a heart rate monitor and watch so I know how many calories I burn with each work out.

I know that some people find it hard to track all their food and count calories, but for me it's the only way I can be honest with myself and know what I'm putting in my body. If I know a piece of candy is 50 calories and I eat 5 pieces, that's 250 calories I am ingesting. When I'm not tracking, I will easily fool myself and think "Oh, it's only a few pieces of candy, it can't be that bad." Even with the tracking I don't track everything so I am probably eating a few hundred calories over what I'm tracking.

I do notice my motivation is starting to fade. The first 2 weeks I was all gung ho and spot on with my food and exercise. Last week, not so much, and now I am sitting here trying to talk myself into working out. I wish this wasn't so hard for me. I wish the foods I eat weren't tied to my emotions. There are people in this world that use food to fuel their bodies and that's it. Wow. I would LOVE to be one of those people. I eat when I'm happy, sad, lonely and every emotion in between and I'm finding it hard to stop doing that. So far, I have resisted wanting to eat when my emotions come up, but if my motivation is fading I'm afraid my resolve to be good will start to fade also.

I really am trying to take it one day at a time and not look too far forward and not look back at all. I don't want to remember that my week last week wasn't great because I don't want those emotions tied to this week. I want to start fresh this week and kick some ass. So that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to kick ass and have a great week.  I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment