Friday, March 21, 2014

Doing better

Well this is week #2 of my new "diet" and I'm doing well. I need to tweak some things, but overall I'm losing weight (7 pounds so far) and not feeling horrible most of the time.

My friend is an employee of this company that produces healthy, fresh meals. Kind of like nutri system. Portion controlled, calories controlled, sodium controlled etc. We recently had a Mega Kroger open up and they are selling these meals. I was pretty much at my wits end as far as my dieting goes so I figured I'd give it a shot. So last Sunday I bought 12 of the meals. The one downside of the meals is they aren't cheap. They range from $6-8 each. But, my thinking is I will do them until I get my head straight as far as portion sizes and "healthy" food. I have been pigging out since last September (gaining 30 pounds) so my idea of "healthy" is pretty messed up at this point.

Week #1 I pretty much stuck to the meals and added a salad and healthy snack when I was extra hungry. I also worked out 4 times which helped. I lost 5 pounds week #1. Then, that Friday I was woken up at 4 am with chest pains. To make a very long story short, got a ride in an ambulance and spent the day in the hospital thinking I had a heart attack, which was confirmed at one point by a nurse. Talk about scary! And since I have a 3 year old, my husband was home pretty much the whole day and I was at the hospital alone. I had a lot of time to think about how I want to die and being in a hospital is not one of them. I was happy that I already had a good few days behind me of being healthy so I wasn't totally down on myself, but I was scared. After a long day it was determined that I had an esophageal spasm which feels like a heart attack but isn't. Whew! Dodged that bullet! That whole day just made me want to work harder to lose weight.

Week #2 has been slower. I feel hungry pretty much all the time. I feel weak sometimes. I think the problem is figuring out some healthy, filling snacks. Popcorn is out. That used to be my "go to" snack but my stomach can't handle it anymore.

So right now I'm actually in an optimistic state of mind. I do need to figure out how to portion control my own meals and start making more healthy options on my own. I do like the meals, but as far as money goes, it's adding up quickly. I know I can do it, I just need to put the time in and actually do it. Now that it's starting to warm up a little bit I may also be able to walk outside soon. This has been a LONG winter and I'm ready to get out and exercise.

I am very happy with a 7.5 pound loss for 2 weeks. I know I will have weeks where I can lose 4 pounds and other weeks I lose zero pounds. My goal right now is to lose 50 pounds by Thanksgiving. I have a family wedding in November in Florida and I would LOVE to get a nice dress that doesn't look like a tent. So far I am on track to make this goal a reality. My biggest downfall has been keeping my head in the game when it gets really tough. I tend to give up because it's been years since I've succeeded in losing weight. I need to really keep in mind that this process is a slow one and that's ok. Dieting and exercising is the easy part. Thinking that it's OK to not lose one week or not giving up is going to the tough part. I have to start believing that I can accomplish this.That's going to take some time, but I've got nothing but time.

No comments:

Post a Comment